About Future of Good:
Future of Good is a fast-growing digital publication covering Canada’s social impact world. Our 1500+ subscribers are impact-oriented professionals and entrepreneurs from across the country. We equip them with stories, analysis, and commentary so they can stay current and improve their ability to do good in a new era of impact. Our special coverage of COVID-19’s effects on the social impact world is widely read across the country.
About the role:
As Future of Good’s Audience Engagement Editor, you embody journalism and communications. You love journalistic writing, you love synthesizing and communicating insightful stories that can shape a better world. Your email newsletters and headlines are able to draw readers in and give them the ideas and news they need. You have the curiosity of a journalist and the writing skills of a communicator. You understand the power of an engaged reader community. You have a passion for connecting people from all backgrounds, are known for your empathetic thinking, and love understanding and applying data to grow organic engagement and loyalty.
- Sharp headline, email newsletter writing with content marketing experience and communications sensibility
- Reporting or journalistic storytelling with published by-lines
- Write compelling email briefs and newsletters unpacking Future of Good stories to our 1500+ subscriber community
- Curate and distribute new reading lists to subscribers from our vast content library of explainers, Q&As, special reports, feature stories, lists and more.
- Synthesize must-know news and developments for subscribers through email briefs from scanning other newsletters, Google alerts, and other news sources
- Manage and grow subscriber community interactions and engagement through networking calls, Slack channels, surveys, and other touch points to maximize retention and referral
- Lead various subscriber management and retention efforts to ensure subscriber satisfaction
- Reach out individually to members to foster a core group of experts, super-users, and micro-communities
- Create, maintain, and improve systems for tracking success with a focus on data and metrics
- Participate in membership, digital programming, and editorial strategy discussions
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Constant curiosity about all things social impact related
- Educational background in journalism, communications, PR, content creation, or equivalent
- Be creative and an excellent journalistic writer, storyteller and communicator, but also be process driven so you can push stories and the team forward
- Strong understanding of content marketing and email marketing strategies, platforms, and tactics
- Experience with community engagement or management
- At least 2-3 years of communications or journalism experience in a growing organization
- Comfort using these digital tools: Mailchimp, Asana, Canva, WordPress, Google Suite, Eventbrite and ability to quickly pick up others
- Exceptional skills in time and project management, including multi-tasking, goal-setting, and workload prioritization
- Self-directed person who thrives in an agile, fast-paced and often-changing startup environment
- Unafraid to challenge the status quo
- Bilingual English/French
- Experience working at a fast-paced startup
To apply please submit a resume and links to two to three samples of your writing (articles, blog posts, email newsletters, etc).
Please send your resume and writing links to Vinod Rajasekaran at firstname.lastname@example.org. Posting is open until the role is filled.
Location: Ottawa, Canada or surrounding cities
Compensation approach: Minimum monthly salary available is $4,500/month. Our approach to compensation is a listening, co-shaping conversation with you. We want to discuss compensation with you to make sure we get it right.