ABOUT FUTURE OF GOOD
Future of Good is a fast-growing digital publication covering Canada’s social impact world. Our readers are changemakers working in non-profits, social enterprise, global development, social finance, philanthropy, cooperatives, corporate citizenship and public sector from across the country. Our journalism equips them with news, insights, analysis, and commentary so they can stay informed, stay knowledgeable and make brave choices in a new era of impact. We are a growing team of ambitious, curious and passionate folks dedicated to helping changemakers flourish.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Future of Good’s Special Projects Writer, your responsibilities would include working with the Editor and Content Partnerships Manager to help develop partnered story ideas, interview sources, research, write stories of social impact, and respond to edits – both from the Editor and Content Partnerships Manager. The stories you write will be sponsored and reviewed by partner organizations.
You’ll provide in-depth insights, analysis, and reporting, covering a range of topics such as tech for good, impact investing, giving and philanthropy, global development and aid, equity, future of work, and more. Developing fresh ways to look at impactful developments in society and translating them into interesting, provocative medium-form articles is the creative challenge of this role.
- 2-3 assigned stories per month
- 2 copywriting assignments for special projects per year (infographics, microsites, etc)
- Attend and share story assignments/pitches with reporting team in weekly pitch meetings
- Bi-weekly check-ins with Content Partnerships Manager
As one of our reporters, you will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Future of Good’s mission and have the following skills:
- Minimum one year of professional, published journalism experience OR currently enrolled in a master’s journalism degree
- Experience writing in-depth feature stories specific to social impact, with published clips
- Experience conducting journalistic interviews
- Experience in using different digital formats in storytelling
- A demonstrated interest in social impact work and this specific topic area
- Proven attention to detail on fact checking and copy editing
Type: Part-time, 20 hours per week, permanent employment.
Location: Anywhere in Canada.
Compensation: $25,000/year. We have a comprehensive benefits package, 5 weeks paid vacation, unlimited health days, Fridays off in summer, and plenty of opportunities for professional development and mentorship.
To apply please submit a resume, three to five samples of your journalistic work (published or unpublished), and two pitches for stories you’d like to write for Future of Good (see our pitching guidelines here).
Please send your resume, published writing links and pitches to Kylie Adair, Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: January 23rd, 2023