ABOUT FUTURE OF GOOD
As a digital publication, our mission is to enrich Canada’s changemakers with smart coverage of the social impact world. Our 2500+ subscribers are professionals working in nonprofits, social enterprise, social finance, philanthropy, cooperatives, CSR and public sector from across the country. We equip them with insights, analysis, and commentary so they can stay current, stay knowledgeable and make brave transitions into a new era of impact. We are a growing team of curious and passionate folks dedicated to helping changemakers flourish.
ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP
Future of Good Editorial Fellowships offer a unique opportunity to dive deep into a specific subject matter over a 12-month content residency. We currently host four Fellows every year, each funded in collaboration with a partner organization. Fellows are integrated into the editorial team, and become our resident experts on their topic area. We offer a fulsome program with diverse learning opportunities within the organization, with your peer Fellows and externally within the social impact world, which is evolving as our Fellowship cohort and alumni community grows.
This new Fellowship on the impacts of climate change on human health is an exciting addition to our content coverage. You will unpack insights, analyze patterns, spotlight creative solutions and report powerful stories from research and lived experiences on the cascading effects of climate change on health in communities across Canada, and in turn how community programs and social services are responding.
The term will begin late January, 2022 and continue through to January, 2023, with a possibility of extension. You will take the lead on this area of coverage, which means you will take initiative by researching and pitching your own stories, and work with our editorial team to craft engaging pieces of journalism — from features to data stories to profiles and beyond. You will take direction and feedback from both the Editor and Publisher who will support your professional development over the course of the Fellowship.
- 1-2 stories per month, for a total minimum of 12 stories
- 3-4 stories pitched per month
- Occasionally moderate conference calls, interviews or panels on the topic with readers
- Attend bi-monthly meetings with our partnerships manager and the fellowship’s supporting partner to brainstorm ideas
As one of our Editorial Fellows you will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Future of Good’s mission and have the following skills:
- Minimum one year of professional, published journalism experience OR currently enrolled in a journalism degree (third year or higher for undergraduate programs, any year for graduate programs)
- Experience writing in-depth feature stories, with published clips
- Experience conducting journalistic interviews
- Experience in using different digital formats in storytelling
- A demonstrated interest in social impact work and this specific topic area
- Proven attention to detail on fact checking and copy editing
- Curiosity and critical thinking: You ask questions about everything.
- Reliability: You stick to deadlines, and communicate clearly and early when something throws a project off-track.
- Integrity: You highly value accuracy and create processes accordingly.
- Collaboration: You value feedback, edits, and suggestions from colleagues.
- Self-motivation: You’re able to manage your time effectively to meet deadlines and stay on task.
- Creativity: You’re always asking yourself, what’s the non-obvious angle?
We have described the qualities and skills we are seeking in this role, but we recognize that there will be strong candidates who do not meet all the requirements listed here but have other important qualities.
Compensation: Our Fellows work as contractors receiving CA$2000 per month for approximately 15 hours per week.
Location: Anywhere in Canada. Priority will be given to those in Northern communities, and Western or Coastal provinces.
How to apply:
To apply please submit a resume, three to five samples of your journalistic work (published or unpublished), and two pitches for stories you’d like to write as part of this fellowship (see our pitching guidelines here).
Please send your resume, writing samples and pitches to Kylie Adair at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: January 27th, 2022