About Future of Good
Future of Good is a fast-growing digital publication covering Canada’s social impact world. Our readers are changemakers working in non-profits, social enterprise, social finance, philanthropy, cooperatives, CSR and public sector from across the country. Through our journalism and learning events, we equip changemakers with news, insights, analysis, and commentary so they can stay current, stay knowledgeable and action the changes they want to see in their organizations and in the causes they care about. In addition to our journalism, Future of Good has developed and convened a number of events on transformational topics, and include: Black Leadership in Social Impact summit, Dismantling Digital Barriers summit, Transforming Funding Models summit, and the Women’s Economic Resilience summit. We are a growing team of curious and passionate folks dedicated to helping changemakers flourish.
About the role and person
You are right for this position if you love data and are comfortable using various software to analyze, synthesize and allow us to make better sales decisions with that information. You are strategic and have strong experience in email marketing, writing marketing copy, placing digital ads, know where to promote our brand and mission in ways that draw people in and move them towards taking the next step with our organization. You understand the connection between social media, top of funnel conversion and content strategies and have a firm grasp on how marketing leads to sales. You value relationships and can communicate empathetically and effectively to prospective members. You also can produce and track sales goals and budgets. This role includes generating new leads from outside our current sphere of influence, timely conversion of those who are readers but not yet members, optimizing their conversion flow, testing and running new campaigns and building (and constantly revising) a complete sales funnel from awareness into purchase decision and through to retention.
The words “customer journey” make you feel excited and as such, you have demonstrated experience in turning passive visitors into paying customers and ensuring they feel connected to our mission and brand throughout their experience. You are energized to build trust, identify the customer’s specific pain points and sell results, not features. You understand and can act on terms such as average sales cycle length, revenue churn rate, and number of sales qualified leads per month. You are not afraid to get on the phone and make sales calls or send “cold” emails and you are lit up by the opportunity to be the face and voice of Future of Good to potential new community members.
You have a strong ability to get to the heart of what is important to changemakers and to connect that with the solutions and editorial products we offer. You are very comfortable analyzing data and turning it into actionable insights, and not be above in-the-weeds execution. You also have experience working on a subscription product (it doesn’t have to be content media) and strong copywriting skills.
You bring an inclusive and forward-thinking lens to all you do, you understand the challenges that face Canada’s social impact sector, and you consider yourself a changemaker who is passionate about social and environmental causes and loves to make a difference for others.
You’re a team player and love using and developing your skills in business strategy, budgeting, audience engagement and direct sales. You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, are a multi-passionate doer with lots of ambition, you are agile and can think short and long term with ease. When given an idea, you see a campaign strategy in your mind and understand how to translate that to the rest of the team to understand and support.
If you’re looking for an exciting place to invest your talent and energy, and do your life’s work, we’d love to meet you. This role requires strong understanding of conversion tactics, email marketing, content curation and research skills, a passion for meeting new people, and the ability to manage acquisition and sales processes while providing exceptional customer service.
Reporting to the Managing Director with the collaborative support of Future of Good’s team, the Digital Sales and Marketing Director responsibilities include:
Marketing and Lead Acquisitions:
- Lead website and membership management software updates to collect, analyze and use better data
- Responsible for all lead acquisition and sales for Future of Good including ticketed virtual/live events and membership
- Own all paid and owned advertising opportunities (with support from marketing)
- Define and achieve acquisition OKRs annually, revisiting quarterly
- Own, implement, track and revise our customer journeys and full funnel marketing plans
- Identify and execute new opportunities to target new potential customers and engage acquired leads
- Brainstorm, plan and execute acquisition campaigns based on data, feedback, content and new experiences
- Determine editorial content and audience priorities in collaboration with the Editor, Publisher and Digital Marketing Specialist
- Write and optimize member acquisition-oriented email and web copy for all sales cycles across social media, email campaigns and other earned/paid media and partnership opportunities
- Compiling routine sales and engagement reports to turn data into meaningful insights
- Leading a small team of two direct reports and potentially more as we grow
Lead Conversion and Sales:
- Manage our ticketed virtual/live events and membership sales cycles, sales content email schedules, email marketing campaigns, and support the organization with a sales-first focus
- Own all sales-related tools such as sales scripts, decks, creative assets (in conjunction with the marketing department)
- Write engaging copy that nurtures and converts for our website, newsletters, non-member welcome automations, and event sales campaigns by taking our best stories or independent research and turn it into targeted content marketing based on data, feedback and new opportunities
- Define and plan your sales cycle and proactively track progress towards our sales goals
- Lead targeted direct outbound sales outreach for group membership conversion
- Define our product offerings including but not limited to a pay what you can model, group sales model, and a membership plus model
- Prioritizing, managing, and executing A/B tests and automations to improve conversion rates
- Reviewing member engagement to determine and execute upsell opportunities
- Implement, manage, and maintain all the behind-the-scenes systems and processes that keep us running like a well-oiled machine: software platforms, email lists, CRM automations, analytics, etc
- Support the development of community curation strategy with the Event Producer and Audience Engagement Editor to leverage for sales
Skills and know-how:
- Relevant professional experience, including:
- Lead generation and sales
- Lead email marketing campaigns
- Direct outbound sales
- Full funnel marketing
- Implementation and coordination of annual sales planning, forecasting and goal setting
- CRM and list management
- Strong understanding of subscription-based products
- Working knowledge of data analysis, email marketing, marketing automation and sales CRM software
- Familiarity with email reporting and analysis
- Keen sense of curiosity, entrepreneurial, self-starter, organized, and highly collaborative
- Other assets: being English/French bilingual
We have described the qualities we are seeking in this role, but we recognize that there will be strong candidates who do not meet all the requirements listed here but have other important qualities and experiences.
Location: National capital region (Ottawa, Gatineau or area). Relocation support will be considered for any outstanding candidates outside this region. Core team works out of Impact Hub Ottawa 2-3 days a week.
Compensation: Salary range for this role is $75,000-85,000K per annum plus annual surplus sharing. We have a comprehensive benefits package, 5 weeks paid vacation, unlimited health days, Fridays off in summer, annual technology fund and plenty of opportunities for professional development.
We are committed to a selection process and work culture that is inclusive and barrier-free. We encourage applicants to self-identify if they wish to do so.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to Anouk Bertner, Managing Director at email@example.com. Posting is open until an appropriate candidate is found.